Friday, January 21, 2011

Snowed-in DIY and Cap-toe shoes

I've been sewing non-stop the last few days, and I'm almost finished with a DIY version of the Kiki de Montparnasse garter tank. I've been in love with the style awhile now, but I cannot rationalize spending so much money for what essentially amounts to a white undershirt with an attached garter.

Kiki de Montparnasse Garter Tank

My version isn't perfect, and it's not totally done yet, but for about $16 dollars (cost of material and notions) vs. $150, I love it. I still need to attach the garter clasps to the back, and iron it to make it more presentable, but not bad I think.


If you are curious about the process, I drafted a pattern on muslin from a tank top I own that fits me well, and laid a garter at the bottom to approximate this look. After checking the fit on the muslin, I then cut the pieces from the jersey material to sew. I tried this with muslin first because I had some leftover from another project, and jersey is a bit expensive at $12 a yard to just experiment with.

While I was out getting material at JoAnn's, I happened to stop by TjMaxx to see any kind of stocking and shoe deals. You know, for research purposes. I frequently see Tahari shoes there and wonder "do they sell those retail, or are they made for discount chains?" The styles are cute, and I would be surprised if they are only made for outlets.

I really loved this cap-toe style in-store. It reminds me of the Chanel cap-toes I lust after (without the annoying logo), or a new Louboutin style called "Mago" (that is the blue colorway, but they also come in beige/black and grey/black).


Tahari Laura Pump in Beige Kid/Black Patent

Fit on these shoes is slightly big. Pictured on my foot is the 9, but only because I didn't see the 7 until after I took the picture (I'm lazy). The 7 fit big, but would be fine with padding. The heel height was great and they felt very comfortable. They are available online at Endless, and come in black as well.

4 comments:

  1. I love a captoe!!! You are a heel wizard so I must ask do you think these would be comfy for someone less capable in heels?

    BTW, that tank is fantastic! You are a talented sewer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aww thanks jess, it's super easy to do sleeveless items. make me do sleeves and it's a bit tougher!

    i think these would be comfortable for a non-heel wearer, depending. they have a platform and i would recommend putting in a full insole for ultimate comfort! fyi they are only $40 i think at tjx/marshalls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought these.... about 2 days ago!

    Big big hit in my wardrobe!!!!!!

    ChuckRefreshed

    ReplyDelete
  4. @chuck - they're great, right? i didn't buy them because i think i'd like the 6.5, but i keep thinking about them.

    ReplyDelete